Some sources from Sherry Turkle’s Reclaiming Conversation:
- Are Close Friends the Enemy? Online Social Networks, Self-Esteem, and Self-Control
- important key words: strong ties, self esteem, self control, social network
- Examined the relationship between social media connection, self-esteem and self-control. Authors found a significant link between people who are connected to their social media accounts and a hike in self-esteem.
- The App Generation: How Today’s Youth Navigate Identity, Intimacy and Imagination in a Digital World
- important key words: app generation, sense of self, bias
- Identifies how young people view themselves and their relationships in an age where social interaction is performed almost exclusively online and popularity hinges on likes.
- How Facebook Makes Us Unhappy
- important key words: nonusers, social comparison, social snacking
- Reviews a study that found a link between Facebook usage and overall happiness. The more Facebook was used, the less happy people were in general.